Reading Sample 9- THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN AGE AND HAPPINESS (B1)
- Category: Reading Samples
- Published: Wednesday, 21 February 2018 08:47
- Hits: 128
Reading Sample 9- The Relationship Between Age and Happiness
Are people less happy or happier the older they get? If you answered happier, then you were right, based on a study published a few years ago. It found that people generally become happier and experienced. They less worry after age fifty. In fact, it found that by the age of eighty-five, people are happier with their life than they were at eighteen.
The findings came from a Gallup survey of more than three hundred forty thousand adults in the United States in two thousand eight. At that time, the people were between the ages of eighteen and eighty-five. It has been found that levels of stress were highest among adults between the ages of twenty-two and twenty-five. Stress levels dropped sharply after people reached their fifties.
Happiness was highest among the youngest adults and those in their early seventies. The survey also found that men and women have similar emotional patterns as they grow older. However, women of all ages reported more sadness, stress and worry than men did.
The researchers also considered possible influences like having young children, being unemployed or being single. But they found that influences like these did not affect the levels of happiness and well-being related to age.
So why would happiness increase with age? One theory is that, as people get older, they become more thankful for what they have and have better control of their emotions. They also spend less time thinking about bad experiences.
Decide whether the following statements are TRUE/FALSE/NOT GIVEN according to the survey in the passage.
- The older people are, they seem less worried.
- The survey was conducted among a limited age group.
- After the age of fifty, people have more difficulties in dealing with stress.
- Men and women both have identical feeling patterns as they are ageing.
- Single women seem happier compared to married ones.
- There is a close link between marriage and happiness.